Dr. Richard’s research into the lawyer personality has revealed that 90% of lawyers score in the bottom half of the scale on the psychological trait called “Resilience”. Low Resilience people tend to be relatively thin-skinned, defensive, and easily wounded by criticism, rejection or other setbacks. They don’t bounce back well from adversity.
But there’s good news—over the past decade, both the U.S. Army as well as many corporations have discovered that psychological Resilience can be taught, using a simple set of cognitive strategies. The payoffs for doing so are considerable:
- Reduces the stressful symptoms of low Resilience
- Helps individuals to bounce back from adversity
- Helps individuals to avoid reacting negatively to adverse events
- Inoculates the individual against future low Resilience triggers
- Teaches individuals how to cope with criticism, rejection, setbacks, and other threats to the thin-skinned
- Builds positive psychological resources—people who learn Resilience skills tend to be more collaborative, trusting, kinder, less critical, more engaged, and happier
Dr. Richard has partnered with two other talented lawyers, Paula Davis-Laack and Dave Shearon, to create a company called Lawyer Strong LLC. Lawyer Strong offers a range of services to law firms and corporate law departments to assess your lawyers’ current levels of Resilience, and to train lawyers in psychological Resilience skills. We also advise firm management on how to implement programs and practices that will aid your lawyers in coping with low Resilience triggers.
Paula and Dave both practiced law and both earned a Master’s Degree in Applied Positive Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania, the premiere graduate program for training in psychological Resilience methods. Each of them has also served for several years on the faculty of the U.S. Army Master Resilience Training (MRT) program. Together, they’ve taught psychological Resilience skills and strategies to over 20,000 U.S. soldiers. To learn more about Lawyer Strong and our services, please click here.
Interested? Call Lawyer Strong: (610) 304-2966 or go to www.lawyer-strong.com